The Properties of Concrete are its characteristics or basic qualities. The four main properties of concrete are
Workability means how easy it is to
- Finish a concrete mix
Cohesiveness is how well concrete holds together. A mix that has too much water will not be cohesive and may separate and bleed.
There are two main tests to be done on concrete
- The Slump test : the SLUMP test shows the WORKABILITY of concrete.Workability measures how easy the concrete is to place, handle and compact.
- The Compression test : The COMPRESSION test shows the best possible strength concrete can reach in perfect conditions and measures concrete strength in the hardened state. Testing should always be done carefully. Wrong test results can be costly.
Strength is usually specified to ensure a level of durability. Higher strength concrete will become more durable!
DURABILITY OF CONCRETE
- Permeability and water tightness
- Freeze-thaw resistance
- Plastic shrinkage
- Drying shrinkage
- Abrasion resistance
- Heat of Hydration
- Sulfate Attack
- Alkali-Aggregate Reaction
- ASR (Alkali Silica Reaction)
- ACR (Alkali Carbonate Reaction)
- Thermal Movement
- Physical Salt Attack
- Corrosion of reinforcing steel